I attended Bike Expo New York on Saturday and rode the Brompton from Grand Central to Basketball City (Pier 36). This was the inaugural show and the venue/format/programming was good. I also believe this show will look very different (more exhibitors and bigger crowds) in 2013+ because of the growing popularity of cycling.
The biggest complaint- my British Racing Green Brompton was a bit of a show stopper. And this HAS nothing to do with conceit. This is a beautiful machine and I was stopped several times and asked the following:
(1) Did you purchase that here?
(2) Are they exhibiting?
(3) Is it heavy?
(4) How much did it cost?
(5) Where can I get one (NYCeWheels)?
(6) Where was it made?
My only regret? I missed the BE Chic, BE NY fashion show and some of the other programming (A Cargo Course: Packs, Racks, and Baskets). And this was my own fault…I planned poorly because the emails for the event were informative (and sent it perfect volume).
(1) Nutcase Helmets of Portland Oregon
(4) Timbuk2 and Bike Friday also had booths
Sites (the trek from Grand Central)
(5) The Complete Traveller Antiquarian Bookstore
(6) Picture of the Freedom Tower (One World Trade Center) from the West Side. This was taken with an iPad II.
(7) New York City Cycling Map
(9a) BONUS: Cathedral by Anna Shukeylo