“My whole journey began the day I lost her. And every time I find her…she slips away again.” — Sora
Finally. I completed Kingdom Hearts 3 at 10:54 on 3.13.2020 earning the KINGDOM HEARTS III Complete Master trophy (3.5% rarity). I haven’t been this excited since Arnold became the Space Sucker champion. Here’s my KH3 post more than 1+ year since the game was released on 1.29.2019.
Firstly, I don’t have anything negative to say about the game. I’ve played every title except Re:coded and Kingdom Hearts Union Cross and have bought platforms (PSP, 3DS, and PS4) just for this series. I’m definitely a fan and have been since it was released -so- this post is a “hunny drizzle” of un-objectivity. I’ve seen the Kingdom Hearts Orchestra twice and working on The Legends of Kingdom Hearts Volume 1: Creation. Genesis of Hearts by Georges “Jay” Grouard so my credentials are better than the Scallop Poêlé from Le Grand Bistrot.
Tetsuya Nomura is a master storyteller, and whilst the story has gotten very complicated, when you break it down the series is simply about friendship, sacrifice, and the choice between good and evil (and the grayness in-between). It [the ending] was a satisfying conclusion and to see all the characters reunited was really wonderful. I also liked the cutscene at the end between Eraqus and Xehanort. I have my own theories about Sora and Kairi which I’ll end the post with.
23 Reasons to Play KH3
(1) Favorite Worlds: Caribbean / San Fransokyo / Kingdom of Corona
(2) Favorite Location: Twilight Town
(3) Most Helpful YouTube Video: Kingdom Hearts 3 – COMPLETE GUIDE: Ultima Weapon (100% Item Synthesis, 7 Orichalcum+, Minigames) by Soraalam1
(4) Best Link: 8-Bit Blast
(5) Best Attraction: Blaster Blaze
(6) Worst Attraction: Splash Run
(7) Favorite Keyblades: Starlight & Midnight Blue (PS4)
(8) Favorite Classic Kingdom Games: Building A Building, How To Play Baseball, and Giantland
(9) Best Mini Game: Flash Tracer / Verum Rex: Beat of Lead
(10) Most Difficult Mini Game: Festival Dancer (thanks Steve)
(11) Favorite Flantastic Game: Honeydew Flan
(12) Most Wished for KH3 Toy: Schwarzgeist
(13) Favorite Gummi Ship: Endymion
(14) Favorite Organization XIII Member: Luxord
(15) Favorite Shotlock: Phantom Rush / Noise Flux (Classic Tone)
(16) Most Wished for Kingdom Hearts World(s): Meet the Robinsons / Susie the Little Blue Coupe
(17) Most Wished for Kingdom Hearts Merchandise: Classic Kingdom in a Game & Watch device / The Art of Kingdom Hearts
(18) Toughest Secret Boss: Dark Inferno (Battlegate #14)
(19) Favorite Character: Aqua
(20) Favorite NPC: Yen Sid
(21) Favorite Team Attack: Mighty Avalanche
(22) Favorite Trio: Roxas, Axel, and Xion.
(23) Favorite Trophy: True Captain (Sink 200 enemy ships in The Caribbean)
Questions without answers?
(1) How did Kairi get to Destiny Islands from Radiant Garden?
(2) How BIG is Destiny Island and is it part of a chain of islands?
(3) What are Terra, Ventus, and Aqua going to do next? This answers some of that!
My own interpretation of the ending
It looks like Xigbar / Luxu is going to feature prominently in the next story arc but I think I’ve played enough. I’m satisfied with the ending, and although I’m a hopeless romantic, Sora and Kairi could never “live happily ever after.” Sora makes the ultimate sacrifice for Kairi (and his companions) and his fading away on that iconic beach is a little like Frodo passing from the Grey Havens to the Blessed Realm.
“‘Yes,’ said Gandalf; ‘for it will be better to ride back three together than one alone. Well, here at last, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.'” — J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Sora: What’s so funny?
Young Xehanort: I told you. There’s a high price to pay for all of this.
Sora: And what price would that be?
Young Xehanort: I’ll go back to my time and live out my life. But Sora, you’re done now. Your journey ends here.
Young Xehanort: Good-bye, Sora. Your time… in this world is-
Young Xehanort fades away.